EPISODE #3: WHY INDIVIDUALITY IS YOUR BEST ASSET WITH JASMINE DOWLING
On today’s episode I have the absolute pleasure of speaking with illustrator, designer and content creator, Jasmine Dowling. Known for her freehand typography, love of flowers and crisp photography, we get down and talk about how creatives can find and showcase their individuality, dealing with the comparison trap, using Instagram Stories to show who you are and what you do, how to handle nasty comments online, and how to better collaborate with brands who might not totally understand you as a creative or your audience.
"sharing has always been a huge part of my process, it's very natural to me"
"having an opinion always helps with self expression as it allows you to tap into your own individuality and if you can hone into that, then you have something really special"
SUBSCRIBE, DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN ON ITUNES HERE!
Or listen on Soundcloud below!
Remember to sign up to the Your Creative Start Podcast newsletter for more actionable advice and wisdom bombs, as well as secret episodes! When you sign up, you’ll also receive a Getting Started Checklist - for FREE! Sign up here.
"things that make you tick, make other people tick as well, and you just need to find that audience that also ticks about the same thing"
"i think we get into a trap where we over think it too much; they're not going to find your work if you don't put it out there"
- Sharing as a part of the creative process
- Finding your audience
- Finding and showcasing your individuality
- Tips for dealing with the comparison trap
- Creatives working for admiration
- Finding the perfect light for photography
- Muscle memory
- Staying true to yourself on Instagram Stories
- Finding your comfort on social media
- How to handle nasty comments online
- Making money
- Passive Income
- Creative process
- Collaborating with brands
- Knowing what works in your business
"i don't want to see someone's perfect Instagram story, i want to see the grit"
"in terms of boundaries and getting started on Instagram Stories, it's finding where you're comfortable"
- FujiFilm xT2
- Canon D70
- Colour Chiefs
- Ted Talk: Elizabeth Gilbert "Your Elusive Creative Genius"
- Ted Talk: Elizabeth Gilbert "Success, Failure and the Drive to Keep Creating"
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
FIND JASMINE DOWLING
FIND YOUR CREATIVE START